Abortion

As we face a presidential election I wanted to post a weigh-in on the abortion rights issue. I will never vote for a pro-choice candidate.

It seems clear enough to me from common sense and from a passage of Scripture in Exodus 21:22-25:

When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman's husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.


An unborn baby is stated to have “life.” This life is protected by the same penalty imposed on a person who commits murder. That seems clear enough to solve the moral dilemma.

I have outlined an argument elsewhere that ethical issues become a matter of interpreting what the Bible says on a given issue. The short version is that Christ established the authority of the Bible by His words and actions. The verses above are clear enough. The argument is well made in the audio lectures here, and more material can be found here.

Let’s analyze a quote for an abortion rights advocate.

"Abortion should be legal; it is sometimes even necessary. Sometimes the mother must be able to decide that the fetus, in its full humanity, must die. But it is never right or necessary to minimize the value of the lives involved or the sacrifice incurred in letting them go. Only if we uphold abortion rights within a matrix of individual conscience, atonement and responsibility can we both correct the logical and ethical absurdity in our position and consolidate the support of the center.” - Naomi Wolf, staunch pro-abortion feminist in The New Republic

The quote above seems a startling admission to me. A fetus is given the status of “full humanity,” that, under certain circumstances, “must die.” The “ethical absurdity” of the moral position is admitted. An implication is made that abortion needs “atonement,” payment for a sin.

As an adoptive parent, I cannot stand the fact that my daughter would have been deemed by some as a necessary candidate for abortion. No unexpected pregnancy happens in anything like ideal circumstances. My daughter’s birth-mom made a difficult decision in a moral environment that in many ways did not support her. (One day when my daughter is old enough to understand her birth-mom’s situation she may decide to share those circumstances, but for now I’ll leave that to your imagination.)

My father was adopted. My grandmother on Mom’s side of the family was also adopted. I would not be here without the gift of adoption. My life as a son and as a father would not have been possible if any one of three decisions were made in favor of abortion.

It becomes a personal and passionate issue with me. I will not vote for or endorse or support in any way a candidate for office who is pro-choice. I just can’t do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Face of Terror

The Canons of Dort

Intelligent Design